Washington’s long-term care program delayed
January 28, 2022
Gov. Jay Inslee today announced an 18-month delay in the implementation of the state’s long-term care program. The two bills he signed into law today:
- Delay implementation of the state’s long-term care program for all workers;
- Modify eligibility for those nearing retirement; and
- Allow more workers to opt out if they choose.
The Employment Security Department advises employers who collected premiums from their employees starting Jan. 1, 2022, to:
- Stop withholding WA Cares premiums from employee earnings.
- Reimburse employees for WA Cares premiums within 120 days of the date premiums were collected.
- Continue to maintain copies of exemption approval letters for workers who’ve provided them.
For more information, visit the state’s long-term care program website at https://wacaresfund.wa.gov/