Protecting and Promoting the American Dream of Homeownership
The External Affairs team partners with BIAW members to protect and promote the American dream of homeownership for Washington families. During the legislative session, we work to pass pro-housing and pro-business legislation and defeat efforts that drive up the cost of buying or remodeling a home.
All year round, we represent you in state agency rulemaking and before the State Building Code Council, providing your perspectives to decision-makers and keeping you informed of new rules and regulations.
Members can text “BIAW” to 50457 to receive texts on calls to action. We also hold weekly legislative action calls at 7:30 am on Tuesdays during session. Keep an eye out during session for more ways to help and be involved!
If you have any questions regarding BIAW External Affairs or wish to join the Tuesday morning legislative calls, email BIAW Managing Director of External Affairs Jan Himebaugh at email@example.com or 360-352-7800 ext. 135.
Legislative Action Center
Take action today
Your External Affairs team tracks upcoming legislative hearings and provides guidance to help you share your views on important bills each week.
Be sure to review each week and let legislators know where you stand. Click the button below to sign-in on bills in committees.
2024 Legislative Priorities
- Fighting HB 1589 and protecting energy choice for new and existing homeowners
- Increasing housing options through lot splitting
- Expanding training for construction trades in all avenues, including apprenticeship
- Allowing accessory dwelling units in all parts of the state (SB 6029 / HB 2126)
- Addressing underlying zoning to allow for transit- oriented development without other onerous requirements
- Ensuring density-first zoning
- Impact fee deferral and reform
- SBCC Reform
- Energy code and Wildlife Urban Interface code reform
- Accountable timelines for L&I citations
- Defining electrician/non-electrician allowed work
- Addressing property theft at residential home-building sites
Read more about our legislative priorities!
Register for our members-only Building Legislative Action Day and Hammers & Highballs legislative reception!Find Your Legislator
Washington Affordable Housing Council
BIAW’s political action committee, the Washington Affordable Housing Council (WAHC) plays an active role in Washington state elections: investing time, energy, and money into promoting pro-business and pro-housing candidates.
BIAW’s building codes and policy manager has a finger on the pulse of the council, helps ensure representation on the TAGs and keeps members and leadership informed of activity that affects the homebuilding industry.Learn More
BIAW’s Government Affairs team does more than advocate on behalf of the home building industry. The team also researches and develops policy information to help decision-makers better understand how and why homebuilding gets so expensive.
Earn a certificate in campaign management and learn the ins and outs of successfully managing a political campaign in Washington. 2024 is a big election year here, arm yourself with the skills needed to build a track record of election victory and set yourself apart by becoming a qualified and certified campaign manager for this year’s biggest races.