Fall Board Meeting celebrates award winners, welcomes new leaders
November 21, 2022
The 2022 Fall Board Meeting at the Hilton Vancouver brought more than 150 builders, associates and attendees together for the first time since the governor lifted Washington’s COVID-19 state of emergency.
- Our Annual Meeting Thursday with speaker Brandi Kruse, host of [un]Divided.
- The Future Leaders Social where members mingled with current and former BIAW leaders to learn how to take the next step in state leadership.
- Recognizing the best of the best with our Builder, Associate and Remodeler of the Year Awards.
- Celebrating lifetime achievement through our Hall of Fame recognition.
- Installing our 2023 Senior Officers.
We concluded our time with the official Board of Directors Meeting Friday, where we:
- Enjoyed the President’s Report;
- Received a budget update;
- Previewed our new workforce development video;
- Heard committee reports; and
- Reviewed strategic plan successes.
A huge thank you to all of you for attending and to our stellar BIAW staff who worked so hard to pull this meeting together!
Electing new leaders for 2023
Every year at the Fall Board Meeting, members of the Board of Directors elect the upcoming senior leaders, who are then celebrated at our installation dinner and awards gala.
Congratulations to 2023 President Gary Wray from the Skagit/Island Counties Builders Association and our 2023 senior officers who were elected at our annual meeting:
- Jay Roberts – First Vice President/Treasurer, Skagit/Island Counties Builders Association
- Luellen Smith – Second Vice President, Master Builders Association of King and Snohomish Counties
- Kent Arola – Third Vice President, Master Builders Association of Pierce County
- Nicole Ahola – Secretary, Central Washington Home Builders Association
2022 President Joseph Irons will also continue on as a senior officer in the Immediate Past President role.
We also elected the following NAHB positions at the annual meeting:
- NAHB Delegate, Builder: Nichole Banegas, Home Builders Association of Tri-Cities
- NAHB Delegate, Associate: Debbi Boyd, Olympia Master Builders
- NAHB State Representative: Nick Scheel, Spokane Home Builders Association
- NAHB Special Voting Member: Sherry Schwab, Master Builders Association of King and Snohomish Counties
Thank you to our outgoing Immediate Past President Tracy Doriot from the Building Industry Association of Clark County and Second Vice President Ryan Moore of the Central Washington Home Builders Association.
Thank you for your outstanding leadership and service to the association!
Celebrating our 2022 Builder, Associate and Remodeler Award winners
The Installation and Awards Gala each year gives us a chance to shine a light on the best and brightest in our industry, and 2022 was no exception. Congratulations to:
- Builder of the Year: Gary Wray, Skagit/Island Counties Builders Association
- Associate of the Year: Nick Gilliland, Spokane Home Builders Association
- Remodeler of the Year: Kimberley Martin, Master Builders Association of King and Snohomish Counties
Welcoming three new members to the BIAW Hall of Fame
BIAW welcomed three new members to the BIAW Hall of Fame for 2022: Ted Clifton of the Skagit/Island Counties Builders Association, Rick Hjelm of the Master Builders Association of Pierce County and Jan Rohila, long-time BIAW staffer and ROII marketing manager.
The association celebrated Rick’s long-time leadership, dedication to excellence in remodeling and community service.
The group also thanked Jan for her lifetime commitment to our association and its members and for her ongoing work as a marketing manager for ROII.
Clifton was unable to attend the Fall Board Meeting and will be inducted at the Summer Board Meeting in 2023.
Celebrating successes in 2022
BIAW’s 2022 President Joseph Irons led off the Board of Directors Meeting on Friday with a review of the organization’s accomplishments in his five priority areas:
- Supporting small businesses
- Emphasizing equality across our organization and our industry
- Promoting and growing our certified builder program
- Building our future workforce
- Keeping homebuilding affordable
As he traveled to visit all 14 local associations, Joseph said he was proud the organization was in good hands moving into the future. Read more in the November/December edition of Building Insight.
Photos and important information
BIAW will be sharing links to the photo album, meeting documents and minutes from the 2022 Fall Board Meeting soon.
Save the date!
The Winter Board Meeting is scheduled for March 20-22, 2023, at the Olympia Hotel at Capitol Lake in West Olympia. We hope to see you there.
Thank you for your ongoing support and dedication to the home-building industry!